by Betsy Burnett
This past month you might have noticed me rather absent from things around here. That’s due in fact to my rather non-functioning gallbladder who’s time had come to be removed. One thing about surgery, it really gives your friends a chance to shower you with kindness I had one friend volunteer to watch my children so my husband could be with me during surgery. Others cooked meals for our family. Some called, some sent cards, and many, many prayed for me. Everyone showing how much they cared in their own way!
This month our theme is “the blessing of kindness.” Scripture tells us to “Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.” (Hebrews 13:2) Even more important than “entertaining angels” is the fact when we show kindness to others we are showing kindness to Jesus.
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25: 31-40)
Showing kindness to someone is so awesome because not only do we get to minister to Jesus (according to the parable of the sheep and the goats) BUT we get to share Jesus with those we minister too.
Scripture tells us WE are the body of Christ! We get to be His hands when we reach out and touch someone, we get to show His compassion when we listen to a hurting friend, we get to show His care when we feed the hungry. What a privilege it is to minister through Jesus, and because of Jesus and with Jesus to a world that so desperately needs Him.
Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 1 Corinthians 12:27
Kindness is a blessing not only for the receiver (who doesn’t like being showered with kindness?) but a blessing for the giver as well. When we show and share kindness it allows us to minister to and for Jesus. What a great privilege to be the hands of the one who came to save a lost world. That is the real blessing!
Scripture to Ponder:
- Now then, please swear to me by the LORD that you will show kindness to my family, because I have shown kindness to you. Joshua 2:12
- May the LORD now show you kindness and faithfulness, and I too will show you the same favor because you have done this. 2 Samuel 2:6
- You gave me life and showed me kindness, and in your providence watched over my spirit. Job 10:12
- In a surge of anger I hid my face from you for a moment, but with everlasting kindness I will have compassion on you,” says the LORD your Redeemer. Isaiah 54:8
- I will tell of the kindnesses of the LORD, the deeds for which he is to be praised, according to all the LORD has done for us— yes, the many good things he has done for the house of Israel, according to his compassion and many kindnesses. Isaiah 63:7
- The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3
- I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love; I lifted the yoke from their neck and bent down to feed them. Hosea 11:4
- Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.” Acts 14:17
- Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness leads you toward repentance? Romans 2:4
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23
- Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:12-13
- For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-8
Questions to Ponder:
- How have you been blessed with the kindness of a friend? the kindness of God?
- Has God’s kindness ever led you to repentance?
- How has your life been changed by showing kindness?
- How do you teach your children to be kind?
Latest Blog Posts:
- Thought Thursday-His rest
- Wordless Wednesday
- Monday Motivator-Living For God
- Song Sunday
- Scrappin Saturday-alphabet stickers
For the remainder of March, focus on the blessing of kindness. Be open to what God wants for you, not what you think your layout will be. I look forward to seeing your layouts at the end of the month on how you have been blessed!