By Betsy Burnett
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, naturally ones thoughts turn to love in February. Hearts, and cupids decorating the walls and boxes of chocolates lined up in rows ready to be gifted with “the perfect” card for your loved ones fill pretty much every store we walk into.
As emotional beings naturally we all enjoy feelings of love and being “in love” We love hearing those little words “I love you” whispered in our ears. It sets our hearts a fluttering and our pulse a racing. Sadly though many are quick to declare “I love you” but when the going gets tough, they get going.
Dear children let us not love with words and tongue but with actions and in truth… 1 John 3:18
Love is an action. Sure it starts with feelings and emotions. Who can forget the moment you first “connected” with your sweetie? Or the first time you held your child?. Our hearts swelled up, overwhelmed, wondering how it could feel so full of joy, of happiness. Feelings though can fade.
You find out your sweetie is really crabby in the morning and even crabbier on the freeway. That sweet bundle of love grows up to color on walls and scream “I hate you” when you take the crayons away. What happens when things get worse… you find your spouse was involved in illegal activities at work, or your teenager gets in trouble with drugs. Will those feelings still be there then? Probably not and this is when love becomes action. At times like these our actions speak much louder than words!
Jesus says “If you love me you will obey my commands.” We show our love for God by doing, doing what he says. We show our love for others in similar ways.
Love is over looking the appearance. Love is speaking the truth. Love is also teaching proper responses. Love is discipline. Love is always hoping, standing by them in support not condoning what they did but encouraging them to change and helping them to accept the consequences of their actions. Love is an action persevering when times get tough!
True love goes beyond feelings. Feelings come and feelings go. But the investment, the commitment, the way you act with and respond to that person is how you really show what love truly is!
The Blessing of Love!
If you haven’t guessed by now our focus this month is “The blessing of love”. There are so many people in our lives to love, a spouse, our children, our friends, our savior. Those special people in our lives that make it worth living. This month as you focus on the many people you love (and that love you in return.) Be sure to thank the Lord he has given them to you.
Scripture to ponder:
- Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. (NIV)
- Proverbs 13:24 Those who love their children care enough to discipline them. (NLT)
- Proverbs 15:17 A bowl of vegetables with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate. (NLT)
- Proverbs 17:9 Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends. (NLT)
- Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. (NIV)
- Proverbs 30:18-19 There are three things that amaze me- no, four things that I don’t understand: how an eagle glides through the sky, how a snake slithers on a rock, how a ship navigates the ocean, how a man loves a woman. (NLT)
- Song of Solomon 1:2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth- for your love is more delightful than wine. (NIV)
- Song of Solomon 2:16 My lover is mine, and I am his. (NLT)
- John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. (NIV)
- 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails….And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (NIV)
- Ephesians 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
- Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her. (NIV)
- Colossians 3:14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. (NIV)
- Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works
- 1 Peter 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. (NIV)
- 2 Thess 3:5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.
- 1 John 3:16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. (NIV)
- 1 John 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. (NIV)
- 1 John 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. (NIV)
- 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. (NIV)
Questions to ponder:
- Has the love of a person ever changed your life?
- How did you meet the “love of your life”?
- What is a special way someone has shown love to you?
- When do you feel most loved?
- When have you KNOW you were loved (even though you haven’t felt it)
- How do you show love to others?
- How have others shown love to you?
Latest Blog Posts:
- Thought Thursday-Have Hope
- Wordless Wednesday
- Reflection on Monday Motivator
- Monday Motivator-Reaching Out
- Song Sunday
- Scrappin Saturday
Faithfully Yours Store:
New items added:
- Becoming a Woman of Joy book
- Vellum quotes
Hurry, low quantities…click to go directly to new items.
For the remainder of February, focus on the blessing of love. I look forward to seeing your layouts at the end of the month on how you have been blessed!